Wednesday 5 December 2012

A messiah from Nazareth?


Advent 6th of December... I awoke in the night wrestling with a major decision and found myself reflecting on, why did God choose Nazareth, why a Messiah from the North. The simple answer is because it was prophesied, but the question needs to go deeper, still why there, why Nazareth? I've recently been reading RT France's excellent commentary on Matthew (France, R. T. . The Gospel of Matthew. The New International Commentary on the New Testament Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publication Co.(2007)Where he says that Nazareth was a Jewish enclave in a predominately pagan area of Galilee (of the Gentiles). His upbringing was in a good Jewish family and many of His disciples were of a middle class background. (Peter, James, John, Andrew, Matthew for certain)Yet it was still a people living in a Pluralistic society on the margins and largely scorned by the proper religious people around Jerusalem. In other words Jesus grew up on the margins, the margins of Jewish society and the margins of pagan society, the margins was the place where the word became flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14). The majority of his Messiah "tour" was among those on the margins and villages on the margins. The nature of His triumphal entry was not a moment of pomp and pageant but almost a "flashmob" entry of a "King for the people". From the moment of His birth to the shameful despised death on the Cross, The King of Kings lived on the margins. He spoke prophetically and intimately (Nicodemus) with those at the top of the food chain, even Herod, Pilate and Caiaphas themselves, but he lived on the margins. So I ask myself this Advent as a City Missionary am I still hanging out on the margins, are the poor the despised, the quirky, the crackpots, the sinners, the broken, the lame, where I hang out. Or have I become religiously correct, do I court the clever, the cool, calm and the collected. Is my life surrounded by the nice people who see no need of a saviour, or is it with those on the margins. Experience shows me that Jesus is usually around the margins...

No comments:

Post a Comment