Saturday 7 August 2010

Struggling with Double Bubble !

I have been wrestling with this Text for the last couple of days. It has been the struggle of many a Christian for many many years.

The other day in debate with an Arminian friend of mine. His issues around predestination and election were mainly philosophical around the justice of God.

I began to argue the case for predestination that from a universally sinful world born in and with a depraved nature God has chosen from among them purely on the basis of free grace a people for his glory to be awakened to the Glory of Christ and saved from sin and it's eternal consequences... I then went on to argue against the doctrine of double predestination...... Until in my Bible readings I hit this text.

[22] What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, [23] in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— [24] even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles? [25] As indeed he says in Hosea,

“Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’
and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’”
[26] “And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’
there they will be called ‘sons of the living God.’”
(Romans 9:22-26 ESV)


Man this gives me a problem because contrary to what I said the Bible seems to be saying something totally diferrent.

My Arminian friends will bat this into the realm of foreknowledge and omniscience.
However I believe in the Sovereignty of God in Creation and this verse poses me great difficulties around justice........ But who am I to call God to justify Himself. How can the creature say to the creator I am your judge. Who am I to say to the potter shall you not do what you will with the World and yet be totally just and loving in your actions.

Anyone got any good books on this the can reccomend ?

No comments:

Post a Comment